PDA

View Full Version : Need some help answering a question.

'68 Coronet R/T
03-01-2012, 08:36 AM
I am getting asked about the durability and longevity of SPI Clear coats. Since I am a fairly new convert to the products I have no projects any older than 4 years.
Can some of you "old timers" with SPI products provide me with some personal experience on this?
You know the haters are losing the battle when they are resorting to these types of things to keep people from SPI products.

Prplpny68
03-01-2012, 12:36 PM
I have a 73 Mach I that I painted 7 or 8 years ago. All SPI stuff with the exception of the Diamont basecoat. The car has been sitting everywhere from a carport to an open driveway, never garaged. I buffed it for the first time about 2 months ago and it looks great. I also have an 85 CJ-7 done the same way. I used black epoxy on the inside, bumpers, roll bar and hard top. Painted it 7 years ago. It sits in the weather all day everyday, has seen everything from 100+ degree heat to hurricanes. It also spends most weekends of the summers on the beach with sand and salty air. The epoxy has faded a little but has never failed for protection. Last summer I hit the outside with a clay bar and it looked brand new. Both vehicles have the uiversal clear.

'68 Coronet R/T
03-01-2012, 12:42 PM
Great. I am going to save these replies so I have plenty of ammunition on hand.

'68 Coronet R/T
03-03-2012, 09:38 AM
Need some help here for you SPI pros.

Bob Hollinshead
03-04-2012, 12:13 AM
There's no durability problems. I did a UV resistance test 5 years ago by spraying only ONE coat of Universal on a roof of a daily beater and it's perfect to this day-try that with some of the big brand clears with equal film build. You'll find oftentimes the $400/gallon clear guys are afraid of trying SPI because they think money and big name brands buy better products. In reality I was no different but always being a fan of epoxy I tried the SPI epoxy first and was wowed enough to give Universal a try and was wowed again! then the turbo primer and was wowed again!!! Then MS clear, intercoat clear, flattener, reducers, cleaners!!........it's all good, or I should say all the BEST!
I have never heard of anyone having an SPI clear longevity failure, no-failures.

Senile Old Fart
03-04-2012, 03:26 PM
There's no durability problems. I did a UV resistance test 5 years ago by spraying only ONE coat of Universal on a roof of a daily beater and it's perfect to this day-try that with some of the big brand clears with equal film build. You'll find oftentimes the $400/gallon clear guys are afraid of trying SPI because they think money and big name brands buy better products. In reality I was no different but always being a fan of epoxy I tried the SPI epoxy first and was wowed enough to give Universal a try and was wowed again! then the turbo primer and was wowed again!!! Then MS clear, intercoat clear, flattener, reducers, cleaners!!........it's all good, or I should say all the BEST!
I have never heard of anyone having an SPI clear longevity failure, no-failures.

I switched over to SPI reducer and can say there is a big differrence using it with MS CC5020. Flow out is way nicer. . Only been 6 months so really to early to say, but first impression is gloss hold out so far is excellent.

The MS guy gave me a super deal to try his CC5020 over their crossfire base.
He was wanting to sell me his clear and I kept telling him I was going to use SPI Euro on it.
He asks how much for the euro, I tell him 100 bucks for 5 sprayable qts.
He says so you would rather use that then try the CC5020 for 100 bucks for 6 sprayable qts . I took him up on the deal.

Ford Ranger looked great, 2nd person that looked at it bought it. ( thanks again Bob for the advice on dealing with the tape graphic, worked awesome!)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/bigmeansumbiatch/th_DSCN0080.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/bigmeansumbiatch/DSCN0080.jpg)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/bigmeansumbiatch/th_DSCN0082.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v679/bigmeansumbiatch/DSCN0082.jpg)
(sorry for thecrappy cell phone quality pics)

I did a panel repair on my wifes 04 Tahoe, Concept base and the CC5020 clear with SPI reducer. I cannot stress how much better the clear layed out with the SPI reducer.

Less cost per gallon, better results , what is there not to like about SPI products.

As for the original question about longevity, google sure does not show any problems. lots of SPI search results but I found nothing doing a search with SPI paint failure in the search terms. That speaks volumes to me.

My 65 Mustang may or may not be all SPI, if it is all white then it will be all SPI, if a different color then ProSpray base and all other coatings will be SPI.

Hope the wife goes with the gunmetal color, then I can save my 2 gallons of white base for the wide body 'vette project :)

I am the Band Wagon Master.