• Having site issues? Contact Dub@southernPolyurethanes.com

1966 Mustang Coupe Restomod

#64
We are back working on this project. I had to do a little bodywork on the front of the fenders to get them to line up to the new front valance and epoxy primed.



Front valance and rear bumper block sanded and epoxy primed





Test fitting one more time



 
#65
We have been working on this doing a lot of little things to make it look right. The hood did not line up with the headlight buckets so I had to add fiberglass to the end of the hood.





Brian test fit all the door glass, vent windows, quarter windows, windshield and back glass moldings

This area needed a little work





I worked on the body lines





As you can see in this photo the front valance was a little high and the fender had a low spot that needed bodywork





In the middle of a lot of block sanding and looking for any imperfections

 
#66
The back of the hood was sanded and epoxy primed





Block sanded the body and epoxy primed







The trunk was sanded and epoxy primed





The engine compartment was sanded and epoxy primed



 
#68
Rusty first off your guys work is awesome love the threads this may have been discussed elsewhere but I can't seem to find it I notice you mainly hand strip your cars and I know there are multiple tools but was just curious what the most used tool/product is you guys use most such as 3m clean n strip etc
Thanks Justin
 
#69
Rusty first off your guys work is awesome love the threads this may have been discussed elsewhere but I can't seem to find it I notice you mainly hand strip your cars and I know there are multiple tools but was just curious what the most used tool/product is you guys use most such as 3m clean n strip etc
Thanks Justin
We send a lot of them out to be sandblasted. Sand with a DA using 80 grit paper, angle grinder with brown scuff pad or wire wheel.
 
#72
How do you keep your paint booth floor so clean? I always get the overspray that falls and sticks to the ground.

By the way, nice work, I don't think it can be done any better than that.
 
#73
I need to get you caught up on the progress we have made. The body is back on the rotisserie getting ready for paint.





Epoxy primed the fenders and hood





Sanding the interior getting it ready for Lizard Skin



Epoxy primed



Sanded the back of the hood and deck lid, epoxy primed, sprayed 3 coats of Pepper Gray and the next day 3 coats of SPI Universal Clear





I painted the headlight buckets



 
#77
After sanding we found a couple of small imperfections I wasn't happy with so I fixed them and epoxy primed again. It will be ready for paint after a little wet sanding with 600.



 
#79
I fabricated the brake lines.







Almost ready to install the engine



The 347 engine was started on a test stand with a carburetor to check for any leaks or problems



Installing the engine



We still have to install the transmission



Holley Sniper EFI and JBA headers. The plug wires will be changed to black Ford Racing





 
#80
I forgot to update painted

We finally sprayed the stripes on the body after Brian did a lot of taping





Three coats of metallic black



Ready for clear





Five coats of clear





 
Top