Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How not to spray "tiger stripe" metallic ...

the op isn't talking about just spraying regular metallic.....that isn't the problem here......the problem is mixing it in with clear and the gun isn't set properly. it isn't the manufacturer of the gun. i dont believe he is trying to cut it with clear to make it easier to spray, either

again, the make of the gun isn't the problem here.

at the tail end of where the hell are we road
    sounds like he is trying to make his own but using the wrong clear.
    SPI Thug !

Oldtimer
    Great topic here!

Quote Originally Posted by sik_kreations View Post
    to the original poster.. are you using paint with pearl products?
    Sik
    Is there something wrong with Paint with Pearl products? THANKS!

Use Intercoat and activate it, I've used it for pearls and the larger Ice pearls and candies with good results-just like spraying basecoat, use slow reducer and walk the whole length of the car double coating with lighter coats and 50% overlap. Your ratio of pearl to clear could also be too strong causing stripes. The object is to put it on slowly so you have more control. I've stacked 7 coats of activated intercoat reduced 150% over 3 coats of activated base and topcoated with UV clear with absolutely no chipping problems-the intercoat is a very durable product for a bc. Activating it is key for durability when you're putting a lot of layers on. Works great for candies also. Give it some time to release solvents before applying the topcoat clear-overnight is great.
    I don't use my LPH for metalics-it just blew the paint apart too much when I tried it-But... Jeremy has good LPH luck with lower pressure so that might just be the key for metalic basecoats. My trusty Sata Jet90 works fine for metalics.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
    Sik
    Is there something wrong with Paint with Pearl products? THANKS!
    i dont know the longevity of these products.. my thing is they should be more specific and recommend not using top clear but a clear base coat.. controlling pearl in clear can be a bitch.. not worth the time or extra material cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hollinshead View Post
    Use Intercoat and activate it, I've used it for pearls and the larger Ice pearls and candies with good results-just like spraying basecoat, use slow reducer and walk the whole length of the car double coating with lighter coats and 50% overlap. Your ratio of pearl to clear could also be too strong causing stripes. The object is to put it on slowly so you have more control. I've stacked 7 coats of activated intercoat reduced 150% over 3 coats of activated base and topcoated with UV clear with absolutely no chipping problems-the intercoat is a very durable product for a bc. Activating it is key for durability when you're putting a lot of layers on. Works great for candies also. Give it some time to release solvents before applying the topcoat clear-overnight is great.
    I don't use my LPH for metalics-it just blew the paint apart too much when I tried it-But... Jeremy has good LPH luck with lower pressure so that might just be the key for metalic basecoats. My trusty Sata Jet90 works fine for metalics.

i totally agree with u on overnite on multiple layers.. if i have 3 coats of base.. 30 mins.. 4 to 5 an hour/hour half.. more then that over nite. i always overreduce intercoat.. any brand.. some activated some not.

Quote Originally Posted by C_REX View Post
    Sik which Sata did you buy, and to the op save yourself the trouble and SPI intercoat, awesome product and shop simplify life a bit
    3k hvlp with 1.3.

dont know y the hype around here with the lph400.. the super nova and super nova hybrid flat blow it out the water.

I'd like to try the Nova, the LPH sure works nice though. When they make a Nova SS I'll buy one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Hollinshead View Post
    I'd like to try the Nova, the LPH sure works nice though. When they make a Nova SS I'll buy one.
    lol the hybrid>ss the one and only time a hybrid will ever be on top..lol