Thread: Epoxy over Self Etch Primer

Epoxy over Self Etch Primer

Ok guys, please be easy on me. I did some work on one of my cars a year ago and put an acid etch primer on a fender. It is all over the entire fender, inside and outside. Here's the question, what should I do? I'm ready to do body work, but I like the epoxy that I've put on the other parts so much I really want to use it, but I really don't want to have to strip this fender again. If I have to strip, I will, I just wanted to know my options. Thank You!

Patrick

1967 GTX 440 - High School Car, under restoration
    1969 300 Conv 440 - Father's Car
    1969 Roadrunner 383 4-speed
    1970 Charger R/T 440

Here's a link on this topic: http://www.spiuserforum.com/showthre...ght=epoxy+etch

Always best to apply epoxy directly to the bare metal. However I had a similar situation where etch primer was used and then left. It was well cured so I just scuffed it up with a red scotchbrite pad, wiped it down and sprayed 2 coats of unreduced SPI epoxy primer. Never had an issue.
    Romans 10:9-13

Paint Fanatic
    Epoxy works pretty good over Acid etch as the epoxy does not tend to melt the etch like, say a 2k primer would, only issue will be is the etch is the weakest link but normally OK, if done this way.

Just make sure you shoot the first coat of epoxy with NO reducer, just 1:1 with activator.
    Barry@kives.net
    404-307-9740 OR Text, Tech Line (7 days)
    706-781-2220 Office

please keep in mind that if you are doing bodywork and there is a cut through in the epoxy you cant apply filler. no filler can be touching etch primer.
    all spi gallery: www.xtremekreations.com

Oldtimer
    That would almost be more work than just taking it off.