1971 Road Runner

Thank you! I'm making progress, slowly but surely, eating an elephant one bite at a time.
 
Work on the front valance: I ran into filler that was covering some terrible attempts at bodywork, pick and hammer damage as well, several dents. I got them fixed to the best of my ability. I ended up leading over a few spotweld dimples on the panel where the factory attached the bracing on the back. I also leaded over the really bad areas of pick damage.

I blasted the back and stripped the front:
IMG_2919.jpeg


Low spots (circles):
IMG_2916.jpeg


Spotweld dimples and long low spot, I had to remove the brace to fix this:
IMG_2917.jpeg


Dimples on the left side too:
IMG_2925.jpeg


Ughhh!:
IMG_2921.jpeg


Best I can do:
IMG_2924.jpeg


Same here:
IMG_2926.jpeg


And here:
IMG_2928.jpeg


And in epoxy. The rear valance was from AMD and needed minimal work:
IMG_2930.jpeg


Thanks for looking!
 
Work on the front valance: I ran into filler that was covering some terrible attempts at bodywork, pick and hammer damage as well, several dents. I got them fixed to the best of my ability. I ended up leading over a few spotweld dimples on the panel where the factory attached the bracing on the back. I also leaded over the really bad areas of pick damage.

I blasted the back and stripped the front:
View attachment 30196

Low spots (circles):
View attachment 30197

Spotweld dimples and long low spot, I had to remove the brace to fix this:
View attachment 30198

Dimples on the left side too:
View attachment 30199

Ughhh!:
View attachment 30200

Best I can do:
View attachment 30201

Same here:
View attachment 30202

And here:View attachment 30203

And in epoxy. The rear valance was from AMD and needed minimal work:
View attachment 30204

Thanks for looking!
I use the same heaters to run overnight...although they do use up some watts :)
 
I did a spray-out yesterday. I should say, I attempted to. I had some issues spraying. The paint was spattering out of my gun. The only thing I can figure is that I left the screen filter in the lid of the pps cup. It looks like the metallics clogged up the screen, not allowing the paint to flow into my gun.

IMG_2985.jpeg


IMG_2991.jpeg


The paint is a bit rough, but looks like a good representation of GY8 Gold Leaf Poly (metallic).
 
I'm gonna wager the reducer part was more of the culprit than the screen. I leave the screens in mine when spraying base unless its some monster flake(which I rarely shoot)
 
Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking too. I’m an idiot!
Don't be too hard on yourself, all of us have made more than a few mistakes when first starting out.
I remember the one and only time I thought cheaper paint was just as good as the more expensive stuff. Never used Omni again.
Then there were the times when I didn't put enough coats of clear on and sanded through when doing the cut and buff.
 
Don't be too hard on yourself, all of us have made more than a few mistakes when first starting out.
I remember the one and only time I thought cheaper paint was just as good as the more expensive stuff. Never used Omni again.
Then there were the times when I didn't put enough coats of clear on and sanded through when doing the cut and buff.

Thank you! I appreciate everyone's help on this site. I'm sure I'll be making more mistakes, hopefully they'll be minor ones:p
 
Hello all, After much procrastination, I finally sprayed some color on my car. To say I was nervous, would be an understatement. I’ve only sprayed primer prior to this. I want to thank everyone on here for their help and answering all of my questions - which I’m sure there will be more. After scuffing the existing epoxy with 180, I sprayed 2 more coats. I then waited 48hrs and sprayed my base. The first few passes of the first coat went a little wonky on me. I didn’t have my gun adjusted quite right and sprayed a few runs. After sanding these down, I sprayed 3 more coats. I then allowed the base to dry overnight and sprayed 3 coats of clear. As this is the bottom of my car, I thought it would be the best place to start to get some practice in. Also, this will be covered with undercoating as from the factory.

Scuffed:
IMG_3185.jpeg


Epoxied:
IMG_3192.jpeg


Base:
IMG_3196.jpeg


Clear:
IMG_3202.jpeg
 
Back
Top